Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Virgin poster

For all of you who do not know me or of me, my name is Nathan Lafferty and I am part of the Schlafly cycling team. I am very computer illiterate, and I can’t spell, so if a word looks weird… just move on. I first want to say this is my first post and I want to thank everybody who had a hand in putting this together, the people that are keeping it together and Schlafly for sponsoring us. I have been riding for about 4 years with my “now” wife and we love it. She is also part of the team. My biggest achievements have been the MS 150 twice, completing my first double century on the second year. That ride is unbelievable, and if you have never done it, I would highly recommend it. I have logged about 1,000 miles every year, but since joining the team, I should easily top that with the help of Lindsey, Brad, and Jay. I have never raced, but I think that this may be my first year. Jay and Brad go quite frequently and have asked me every time, but I seem to make up some excuse. I get really nervous at even the though of competing, so I’m not sure how I would handle myself once that I got there. Maybe here in the future, they can drag me along and I can prove to them that they should have left me at home. That’s the short story about myself, now I will just talk about how my ride went this weekend. I started off Saturday morning about 7:00 heading for New town from where I live in Warrenton. Last time that I had tried to ride to O’fallon, I only made it about 15 miles till I was struck by a car that ended my ride pretty quick. On this occasion I went down the north service road, through St. Paul, and into New town. From new town I turned around and headed back to O’fallon, where Lindsey’s parents live. I arrived there around 12:30 or so right at 93 miles. I was a little disappointed because my original goal was 100. I retreated inside the cool house for a couple hours to eat and regain some energy before I finished the 7 more miles. All in all, I completed my century with a riding time of 5 hours and 21 minutes and an average of 18.8 mph. That is better then my most recent mph of 18.1 and that was with a few drafting partners. So I was satisfied when my average went up and I was by myself. Lindsey and I went on 45-mile ride through St. Charles on Sun. where we met some new friends. I rode with a guy named Dan that had been riding for quite some time. He will be at this years MS 150 riding for Wild Horse Creek Crusaders. They have a huge tent with lots of sponsors, including Schlafly, (and if any important people are reading) they get like 4 kegs of beer from them. I don’t know about you, but I can’t think of any thing more then a nice cold beer when I get done with the ride in September.

2 comments:

  1. 93 miles, I would have turned around right away and made it 100. Did you stop at all during the ride?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, I stoped at lindsey's parents half way through to refill on water and at new town for a bite to eat. I went the whole 100, I just ran out of steam on Hwy B and C because of the wind.

    ReplyDelete