Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cape Girardeau Race


THE RACE RIG

Another 2nd place finish for me.....Brad finished 6th....out of 12 in the 30-39 class

Nathan finished 1st out of 3 in the 20-29 class

Mary finished 3rd out of 4 in the womens sport class

Well Brad picked me up early Sunday morning, little did I know Nathan was going with us. Sweet we now will have 4 of us! We got to the course and decided to preride, since it was only 3.5 miles in length. I found out right off the start that this was not my course. Very tight and twisty, not a rock on the course and no hills to climb. What the hell was I doing there? I like the course to be full of technical rocks and hills to climb, that is where I can make up my time and pass people. This was a very fast course and the spectators actually made it fun to ride watching them slide down the hill on a slip-and-slide.

Well the first lap was weird. I lined up to a guy that was not dressed like a biker. He had a tshirt and baggy shorts on and tennis shoes. The funny thing is once the race begun he took off like a bat out of hell!!!! Shit now how can I explain to people how he beat me? Well only about a mile into the race he stopped very fast. I guess he gave it his all for about 5 minutes, but the race was over an hour long. Dumbass! Well I was in 3rd for most of the race and got stuck behind some slower traffic on the second lap. I finally caught up to take over 2nd place just about the middle of the 3rd lap. I passed the guy and we started talking, he told me that I was much faster than he was on the flats and uphills, but damn he could kill me on the downhills. We headed toward the so called big climb and I blew him away. he told me that he would see me back at the finish line. I saw him about 10 minutes later and he said, damn dude nice work up that hill. Now I had to try to catch the leader. I could see him through the woods but couldnt work up the stamina or drive to push any harder to catch him. This course was tough for me, not at all my style. While I was trying very hard to catch him, I was stung by a bee in my lip. That took all the drive out. I was worried for the rest of the 4th lap that I was going to get dizzy and throwup from the sting. I started to hurt like hell and I knew I still had a few miles to go. I put my head down, and started cranking but ended up still in second. Very dissapointing to lose out on first but 2nd is not that bad. Even tho 2nd place is the first loser! Maybe next time I can get some extra energy and drive to push through the pain.

I guess this is what I get for lifting weights for legs on tuesday, riding hard on wednesday, riding hard on thursday, easy riding on friday, working 9 hours on saturday and trying to put together a race on sunday. Nice job finding some relaxing time in there idiot. Now I understand that I really do need a rest day before racing!
Schlafly Pale Ale Keg!

Here is me getting my 2nd place medal



Congrats to Nathan for the 1st place, I wish it was stiffer competition for you and more people. Hopefully next time there will be a better showing! .

Nathan getting his 1st place medal

Great job Mary, another podium
Great job Brad, this course was right up your alley! Great finish for your first race back in a long time! Here is your new bike you bought, Dont tell Buffy how much it costs...........about $5000
Until next adventure....

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment