Thursday, June 18, 2009

st paul flat tire ride

well it is Thursday night st Paul group ride.
i showed up early to tend to a flat from a ride on Sunday.

it was over 90 degrees so the tire changing was hot.
i finished fixing the flat and we were ready to leave, nope i had another tube failed or i caused a pinch.
brad mac came to the rescue and we did another change in the parking lot.
off we go and i was in the back from the start, it was hot and i could tell the pace was to fast for me today. i hung out in the back for awhile talked to Marys Friend ( sorry) the heat caused me to forget your name. she felt bad for me for awhile then tore off to leave me fighting myself solo.

i made the call to take the escape route home because it would have some shade.
this decision would also take me off of the group route and ridding alone, if they were to turn around to look for me i would never be found.

i was cruising about 12 mph just trying to get home and i felt another flat tire. i was over ten mile from home, no phone, no socks, some water and a rice crispy treat. i waved down a few cars and truck but no one would have anything to do with a guy in tights walking in funny shoes.

i walked until my knees were hurting from the shoes. then came a nice dude named Jeff and picked me up with his truck.

he took me to my truck and bid me good well, thanks Jeff you rally helped out today.

and that dis for my 12 mile ride ...moral take a phone or a tube with some air or you too could be flagging down the boys with pick up trucks who think you are very stupid to be out here on that bike with funny shoes and tights..

1 comment:

  1. Doug,
    Ann texted and said she was turning back - but didn't know where you were. With your tire trouble before the ride started, I should have thought you might have an issue. I'm sorry we weren't there for you :-(

    ReplyDelete