Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lost Valley 6-29

I decided to ride Lost Valley today right after work. I was feeling a little tired but pushed through. Great weather! I was a little nervous about the conditions from the other day. I started from the mound, typical race start. I decided to time my laps to see if I had improved since the race. With no warm up I decided to take it easy on the first gravel section and not bonk in a hurry. I headed down Bocko hill at an amazingly fast speed and cruised up the dreaded gravel climb. I couldnt believe how good I was feeling at this point not having stretched out or warmed up. Cranked it into a harder gear and decided to push harder. I thought that I was pushing pretty hard but never wanted to over do it to fast. I turned into the new section of singletrack and couldnt see shit! I had my sunglasses on and it was very hard to see due to the shadows. This may have been good though, I didnt have time to prepare for anything and just let my bike do the work. I was putting on a pretty good pace by now. So now I am heading into Brads least favorite section with the sharp uphill turn with the rocky technical section coming up. I decided to take the wide turn and washed my rear tire out, sliding off my bike. no bid deal, get up and move on. I decided to try to push it in spots i usually dont or cant, and take it easy on spots where I usually tear it up. Came to the finish line and checked my watch, 46 minutes exactly. Shit! I was hoping for around 40, so I turned the corner and headed back up the gravel climb, knowing I had some time to make up if I wanted to make it in under 1:30. I was about 1/3 up the hill and shifted down, then down, then down. Now I am in my middle ring and easiest gear in the rear. I never climb this hill like that! I was about to quit when something told me to quit being a pussy and push. I hit the top of the hill and started grinding on the pedals. The only bad part of the second lap was a minor toe dab on the new section, rear tire slipped out on a rock. This lap was better, and I felt great, never getting out of breath and really never had sore legs. I pulled up to the finish line and checked the watch, 1:30 exactly. I was a little bummed that it wasnt in the 1:20's but it still was my fasted 2 laps ever. I figured that I would push myself harder if it were a race or if I had more people to ride with, but overall it was a great training day for me. Tore it up the last monster hill in a higher gear than I was used to and headed back to the truck. Only 2 minor toe dabs the whole time, not to bad. Now I have to train for 3 laps, at 10+ miles a lap.

The trail was in the best shape that I have ever seen it in!

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment