Sunday, June 14, 2009

Rhetts Run Mountain Bike Race

Three members of the Schlafly team went to Columbia, Mo this past weekend to race in Rhetts Run, the Missouri State Championships. The morning started out great being picked up by Brad around 7:40 with the sun shining and clear skies. This had to be a great day. Columbia is less than 100 miles so it wasnt that bad. We began to get closer to the trail and clouds moved in. We pulled over to the gas station and it began to rain. We then headed over to the race and the rain let up. We met up with Jason Pryor our newest member of the Schlafly group. Us three decided to pre ride the 4.5 mile course, taking it easy due to wet conditions. Once we were finished we decided to get something to eat and stretch out for the race. Then the rain came, hard! Then it was time to race. Pryor and myself lined up in the front row and Brad right behind us. My goal was to get out in front, and stay out there. I was a little nervous about the conditions getting worse from the rain, and I was right.
The race begun and I was in 2nd place heading around the first turn. The guy in front of me was going like a bat out of hell and took the first turn way to fast for the wet grass. He locked both wheels up and couldnt stop and flew into the woods. It was actually hard not to laugh, he was ok though. So here I am in first place, like i wanted to be. I was cruising along and pulled out ahead a little and then hit a serious slick rock and crashed into the rock trail. I got up and saw a line of people behind me so I let them pass and I jumped back on the bike. Now my seat was all wacked out and was like this the rest of the race. I adjusted it at least 15 times total, it is hard to ride fast when the seat is up your ass. Well now I was in 6th or so place and was on Pryors tire for a while. We then headed up a steep tricky technical rock section and I took the right line and passed everyone. Now back in the lead. Well that didnt last that long. I was again cruising in first and looked down at the front tire, it was moving back and forth very bad. I saw the tire latch had come off and the front wheel was ready to fall off any second. I had to stop and fix it and let the guys pass. Then we hit some slower traffic from the previous group and had to walk certain sections due to the mud and rain. My shoes were so gummed up with mud, that I couldnt clip in my pedals, that is very tough to ride on! I saw pryor just before the end of the first lap and he told me to "keep pushing" and I replied that I couldnt get into my pedals. The second lap was much different. No crashes and really no one to follow. I was riding alone. I passed a few of the younger croud and even a few marathon guys but couldnt seem to put it together to catch Pryor or the other guys in front of me. I came to the finish line hoping to go another lap but just missed the time cut.
Congrats to Jason Pryor for winning 1st place! I ended up in 4th, and Brad said he just didnt have it that day, bringing up the rear. There will be better days Brad! For his sake, it wasnt his course, tight and twisty. Get an open course and he will tear it up and I will struggle.
One more week until the St. Joes race in Farmington, MO. Details to follow
Jay

1 comment: