Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Chesterfield and St. Paul

5-31 Rode a nice route starting in chesterfield and rode around St. Albans with Jeff and Brad. Doug backed out at the last minute, but probably made the right decision! The ride started out on a nice flat 4 mile stretch. Then we had a decision to make, either more flats or a huge uphill climb. Well after feeling a little warmed up, we decided to take on the climb. It wasn't terrible just long and gradual. About half way up, Brad told me it gets better soon. Well it wasn't soon but it did get better. Then we were on top of the hill with amazing views of nice country. We around St. Albans and headed back. We started a monster downhill, very fast and realized that we missed out turn, so we had to climb that big ass hill but it was a hell of a workout. I just kept listening to Brad and Jeff breathing so hard that I thought I would have to stop and call 911. But we managed to make it. Then off to another killer downhill. I tried to max my bike out but was in the wrong gear and I was a little nervous going down it for the first time. I reached 45.8mph and turned the corner to find out there was a one lane bridge ahead so I slammed on the brakes. So then we headed back to the car but we had not had enough yet. Decided to climb Eatherton road hill. That damn hill is steep!! I was behind brad at the start and Jeff was behind me. We started to hold up traffic because we were only pushing a few miles an hour. About 3/4 the way up, my legs almost cramped up but somehow I pushed to the top to meet brad in a driveway and both of us were out of breath. Jeff was so focused he didn't realize that pulled over, but we yelled at him and he stopped. Then we took another 6 or so miles and headed home for a nice bbq at Jeffs house.

6-01 rode St. Paul route with Aaron. He wanted to get some advise on how to get motivated and shift properly. After a down ride for him, he was ready for this one! He seemed very nervous to take on the hills of St. Paul, but those who have been there know they are not as bad as they look. We went down the first hill and up the first big climb. By then I was way ahead and decided to stop and gave Aaron some good advice. Attack the hills, don't let them attack you. We talked for a while about gear selection and cadence and off we went. Whatever I told him must have clicked, because he was tearing it up for quite a while. We stopped back at the truck and talked for a while. The first time I rode with him we did 10 miles of nice easy flat roads. This time it was 14 or so with mostly hills, a lot harder. He did a great job and said he thought he could go forever, and wasn't even tired! He must have found the sweet spot. Next time I will push him farther and see how much he can take. Want to try race pace Aaron???

Jay

1 comment:

  1. I better try the chesterfield to st albans ride by my self or with E before i go with the Race Team..if i could be home for more than 2 days at a time maybe i could ride a faster pace...

    ReplyDelete