Thursday, September 17, 2009

MS 150




This years MS 150 was a blast. Schlafly had 4 members attending the event and we had a good time. All four of us traveled to Columbia on Fri. evening, set up camp, and went out to eat. It was a little dead Fri night and we needed to rest so we called it an early night and climbed into are tents. There is normally plenty of room in my tent for plenty of people, but for some reason brad decided to put all of are bikes inside the tent and cramp are living quarters. It worked out great though because Lindsey and I were on one side and Jay and Brad shared a twin mattress on the other side of the bikes. Lindsey and I never heard any commotion through are "bike" wall, but you could feel the love in the air..... if I may say. Anyway we all awoke in the morning and started with a pancake breakfast and off we went. All 4 of us had decided that day before to tackle the 100 mile route and so we did. It was a beautiful day for it and the first century for 3 of are riders. I think that a couple of us could have gone further because they decided to SPRINT the last mile. O.K. it was like 300 yards but the intentions were there. We hung out in the company tent area for awhile as we refueled with some schlafly beer that was donated to the whole foods group. They are all a bunch of tree huggin, stick eatin, hippies..... but they are cool. My cousin just had to be one of them. We packed up are tent and headed to are hotel for a good nights rest and a hot shower around dark and you could tell that we were all about dead. The morning came to fast and before you knew it we were back at the fairgrounds unloading are bikes for day 2. Jay had a very important " YOU BETTER NOT BE LATE OR I WILL KILL YOU" appointment to make, so he only did the 40 mile route. Lindsey choose the 75 mile route and took it easy as Brad and myself brought on the pain with another 100 mile day. Brad did awesome all day long, for the day before was his first ever century, not to mention that his longest ride prior was 75 miles or so. So to be able to go back to back centuries was a great accomplishment. I had eaten something at lunch around are 70 mile marker and somehow got a boost of energy, so without warning, I climbed a hill and forgot to wait for Brad. Alright I didn't forget, but I really wanted to go and see what I could do the last 30 miles. If it was anyone else, I don't think that I could have gotten away with it, but he is such a nice guy, that I knew he wouldn't yell at me!! I cranked them out as fast as I could push and ended up averaging 19.4 mph at the end of day 2. That was my personal best compared to my previous 18.9 from the day before and a prior century this year and 1.5 mph gain from the last years Ms 150. So needless to say I was very happy with the outcome and can't wait to do it next year. I guess that we have to clear it with Schlafly first, but next year we are going to reserve a spot for a corporate tent and Its going to be awesome. It is a year away but you can never start planning to early. We need a good showing of volunteers and riders to man are tent and show are pride for are sponsor so any ideas will be accepted. For are first year there in 2010 we need to be the best! Jay, Brad, Lindsey, and myself saw what other tents have to offer and we know that the Schlafly tent will be the place to be!!

1 comment:

  1. Great Job, Lindsey, Nathan, Jay & Brad!!! Count me in for next year!!

    ReplyDelete